Clinical Evaluation of Wear Behavior of Human Enamel and Chipping of Veneered Zirconia against Monolithic Zirconia (Randomized Controlled Clinical Trial)
Objective: To evaluate the wear behavior of human enamel and chipping of veneered and monolithic zirconia for posterior full coverage restorations. Material and methods: Thirty-four zirconia full coverage restorations (seventeen in each group) were fabricated. The patients were divided into two groups according to the type of zirconia used; group 1 (comparator group) veneered zirconia crowns and group 2 (intervention group) monolithic zirconia single crowns. All crowns were lab fabricated and polished. For opposing teeth wear measurements 3D non-contact profilometer was used where epoxy resin replicas were constructed for opposing arch immediately after crowns cementation, three, six and twelve months. Restoration chipping was measured using modified United States Public Health Services (USPHS) criteria. Results: All restorations were reported as alpha with no chipping. There was no statistically significant difference between (Group 1) and (Group 2) for wear test. Conclusion: Both monolithic and veneered restorations revealed satisfactory mechanical properties with no chipping after one year of clinical use. Wear of opposing enamel was clinically acceptable for both materials.
Ceramics; Chipping; Monolithic zirconia; Veneered zirconia; Wear.
- Alves, Larissa Marcia Martins, et al. "The Wear Performance of Glazed and Polished Full Contour Zirconia." Brazilian dental journal 30.5 (2019): 511-518.
- Zarone F, Russo S, Sorrentino R. From porcelain-fused-to-metal to zirconia: clinical and experimental considerations. Dental materials. 2011 Jan 1;27(1):83-96.
- Ozkurt-Kayahan Z. Monolithic zirconia: A review of the literature. Biomed Res. 2016 Jan 1;27(4):1427-36.
- El-Ghany OS, Sherief AH. Zirconia based ceramics, some clinical and biological aspects. Future dental journal. 2016 Dec 1;2(2):55-64.
- Partiyan A, Osman E, Rayyan MM, Aboushelib M, Ibrahim A, Jimbo R. Fracture resistance of three-unit zirconia fixed partial denture with modified framework. Odontology. 2017 Jan 1;105(1):62-7.
- Bührer Samra AP, Morais E, Mazur RF, Vieira SR, Nunes Rached R. CAD/CAM in dentistry-a critical review. Revista Odonto Ciencia. 2016 Jul 1;31(3).
- Baldissara P, Wandscher VF, Marchionatti AM, Parisi C, Monaco C, Ciocca L. Translucency of IPS e. max and cubic zirconia monolithic crowns. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 2018 Aug 1;120(2):269-75.
- Rashid H, Sheikh Z, Misbahuddin S, Kazmi MR, Qureshi S, Uddin MZ. Advancements in all-ceramics for dental restorations and their effect on the wear of opposing dentition. European journal of dentistry. 2016 Oct;10(04):583-8.
- Gou M, Chen H, Kang J, Wang H. Antagonist enamel wear of tooth-supported monolithic zirconia posterior crowns in vivo: A systematic review. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 2019 Apr 1;121(4):598-603.
- Lee SH, Nam SE, Lee SP. Evaluation of the effectiveness of the new tooth wear measurement parameters. Anatomy & cell biology. 2015 Dec 1;48(4):284-91.
- Kontonasaki E, Ilia C, Rigos AE, Istantsos T. Monolithic Zirconia. Dentistry Journal. 2019;7(IKEEXREF-307055):90-.
- Jung YS, Lee JW, Choi YJ, Ahn JS, Shin SW, Huh JB. A study on the in-vitro wear of the natural tooth structure by opposing zirconia or dental porcelain. The journal of advanced prosthodontics. 2010 Sep 1;2(3):111-5.
- Kim MJ, Oh SH, Kim JH, Ju SW, Seo DG, Jun SH, Ahn JS, Ryu JJ. Wear evaluation of the human enamel opposing different Y-TZP dental ceramics and other porcelains. Journal of dentistry. 2012 Nov 1;40(11):979-88.
- Sripetchdanond J, Leevailoj C. Wear of human enamel opposing monolithic zirconia, glass ceramic, and composite resin: an in vitro study. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 2014 Nov 1;112(5):1141-50.
- Stober T, Bermejo JL, Rammelsberg P, Schmitter M. Enamel wear caused by monolithic zirconia crowns after 6 months of clinical use. Journal of oral rehabilitation. 2014 Apr;41(4):314-22.
- Amer R, Kürklü D, Kateeb E, Seghi RR. Three-body wear potential of dental yttrium-stabilized zirconia ceramic after grinding, polishing, and glazing treatments. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 2014 Nov 1;112(5):1151-5.
- Ahmadzadeh A, Hashemi Ashtiani A, Epakchi S, Pormehdi M, Neshati A, Golmohamadi F, Mousavi N. Comparison of the effect of feldspathic porcelain and zirconia on natural tooth wear. Journal of Islamic Dental Association of Iran. 2014 Jul 10;26(3):170-6.
- Lawson NC, Janyavula S, Syklawer S, McLaren EA, Burgess JO. Wear of enamel opposing zirconia and lithium disilicate after adjustment, polishing and glazing. Journal of dentistry. 2014 Dec 1;42(12):1586-91.
- Passos SP, Torrealba Y, Major P, Linke B, Flores‐Mir C, Nychka JA. In vitro wear behavior of zirconia opposing enamel: a systematic review. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2014 Dec;23(8):593-601.
- Mundhe K, Jain V, Pruthi G, Shah N. Clinical study to evaluate the wear of natural enamel antagonist to zirconia and metal ceramic crowns. The Journal of prosthetic dentistry. 2015 Sep 1;114(3):358-63.
- Cardelli P, Manobianco FP, Serafini N, Murmura G, Beuer F. Full‐arch, implant‐supported monolithic zirconia rehabilitations: pilot clinical evaluation of wear against natural or composite teeth. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2016 Dec;25(8):629-33.
- Stober T, Bermejo JL, Schwindling FS, Schmitter M. Clinical assessment of enamel wear caused by monolithic zirconia crowns. Journal of oral rehabilitation. 2016 Aug;43(8):621-9.
- Rupawala A, Musani SI, Madanshetty P, Dugal R, Shah UD, Sheth EJ. A study on the wear of enamel caused by monolithic zirconia and the subsequent phase transformation compared to two other ceramic systems. The Journal of the Indian Prosthodontic Society. 2017 Jan;17(1):8.
- Lohbauer U, Reich S. Antagonist wear of monolithic zirconia crowns after 2 years. Clinical oral investigations. 2017 May 1;21(4):1165-72.
- Esquivel-Upshaw JF, Kim MJ, Hsu SM, Abdulhameed N, Jenkins R, Neal D, Ren F, Clark AE. Randomized clinical study of wear of enamel antagonists against polished monolithic zirconia crowns. Journal of dentistry. 2018 Jan 1;68:19-27.
- Pathan MS, Kheur MG, Patankar AH, Kheur SM. Assessment of Antagonist Enamel Wear and Clinical Performance of Full‐Contour Monolithic Zirconia Crowns: One‐Year Results of a Prospective Study. Journal of Prosthodontics. 2019 Jan;28(1):e411-6.
- Teichmann M, Wienert AL, Rückbeil M, Weber V, Wolfart S, Edelhoff D. Ten-year survival and chipping rates and clinical quality grading of zirconia-based fixed dental prostheses. Clinical oral investigations. 2018 Nov 1;22(8):2905-15.
- Cantner F, Cacaci C, Mücke T, Randelzhofer P, Hajtó J, Beuer F. Clinical performance of tooth-or implant-supported veneered zirconia single crowns: 42-month results. Clinical oral investigations. 2019 Dec 1;23(12):4301-9.
- Hmaidouch R, Weigl P. Tooth wear against ceramic crowns in posterior region: a systematic literature review. International journal of oral science. 2013 Dec;5(4):183-90.
- Ashtiani AH, Azizian M, Rohani A. Comparison the degree of enamel wear behavior opposed to Polymer-infiltrated ceramic and feldspathic porcelain. Dental research journal. 2019 Mar;16(2):71.
- Dettori J. The random allocation process: two things you need to know. Evidence-based spine-care journal. 2010 Dec;1(03):7-9.
- Dowrick AS, Bhandari M. Ethical issues in the design of randomized trials: to sham or not to sham. JBJS. 2012 Jul 18;94(Supplement_1):7-10.
- Mladenović D, Mladenović L, Mladenović S. Importance of digital dental photography in the practice of dentistry. Acta Facultatis Medicae Naissensis. 2010 Jun 1;27(2).
- Aurélio IL, Fraga S, Rippe MP, Valandro LF. Are posts necessary for the restoration of root filled teeth with limited tissue loss? A structured review of laboratory and clinical studies. International endodontic journal. 2016 Sep;49(9):827-35.
- Aladağ A, Oğuz D, Çömlekoğlu ME, Akan E. In vivo wear determination of novel CAD/CAM ceramic crowns by using 3D alignment. The journal of advanced prosthodontics. 2019 Apr 1;11(2):120-7.
- Kirsch C, Ender A, Attin T, Mehl A. Trueness of four different milling procedures used in dental CAD/CAM systems. Clinical oral investigations. 2017 Mar 1;21(2):551-8.
- Azeez SM, Salih SA. Qualitative and quantitative evaluations of topography for CAD/CAM all ceramic zirconia after different surface treatments. Erbil Dental Journal (EDJ). 2019 Jun 6;2(1):164-72.
-Horcas I, Fernández R, Gomez-Rodriguez JM, Colchero JW, Gómez-Herrero JW, Baro AM. WSXM: a software for scanning probe microscopy and a tool for nanotechnology. Review of scientific instruments. 2007 Jan 31;78(1):013705.
- Contreras LP, Dal Piva AM, Ribeiro FC, Anami LC, Camargo SE, Jorge AO, Bottino MA. Effects of Manufacturing and Finishing Techniques of Feldspathic Ceramics on Surface Topography, Biofilm Formation, and Cell Viability for Human Gingival Fibroblasts.Operative dentistry. 2018 Nov;43(6):593-601.
- Preis V, Behr M, Handel G, Schneider-Feyrer S, Hahnel S, Rosentritt M. Wear performance of dental ceramics after grinding and polishing treatments. Journal of the mechanical behavior of biomedical materials. 2012 Jun 1;10:13-22.
- Caramês J, Marques D, Malta Barbosa J, Moreira A, Crispim P, Chen A. Full‐arch implant‐supported rehabilitations: A prospective study comparing porcelain‐veneered zirconia frameworks to monolithic zirconia. Clinical oral implants research. 2019 Jan;30(1):68-78.
- Konstantinidis I, Trikka D, Gasparatos S, Mitsias ME. Clinical outcomes of monolithic zirconia crowns with CAD/CAM technology. a 1-year follow-up prospective clinical study of 65 patients. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2018 Nov;15(11):2523.
- Malkondu Ö, Tinastepe N, Akan E, Kazazoğlu E. An overview of monolithic zirconia in dentistry. Biotechnology & biotechnological equipment. 2016 Jul 3;30(4):644-52.
- Bömicke W, Rammelsberg P, Stober T, Schmitter M. Short‐term prospective clinical evaluation of monolithic and partially veneered zirconia single crowns. Journal of Esthetic and Restorative Dentistry. 2017 Feb;29(1):22-30.